It is tough to be in a long distance relationship. There are two main issues in this kind of relationship: TRUST and COMMITMENT. Nobody is excused. Both parties must have these two in order for their relationship to work or else questions like... “Who’s right beside him at this very moment?” “Why is he not calling me yet?” “What is he doing right now?” “Is he sleeping with someone else?” plus a thousand more questions will haunt your mind. Paranoia comes into play. Then you have your friends who will add more mind bugging thoughts that will torture you even more. So next, you’re going to ask, "Is there a possibility for this relationship to work?". Of course. It is difficult although NOT impossible. But first I must warn you that this kind of relationship is not for the faint of heart or for someone who is into physical intimacy rather than emotional attachment. Thus, if you are into kissing, hugging, and making love then it will intensify your suffering. But if you are more on the emotional attachment then I think you can survive. Are you ready??
Here are the top 8 secrets to keep your relationship
"ALIVE AND KICKING"
(I call it the 8Ms):
1) Maintaining communication – This will make you feel nearer to each other. Modern technologies have advanced in the past few years giving us so many ways to contact our love ones from afar. Phone calls, text messaging, e-mailing, or by using Skype are some of the recommended means of communication. The traditional way of communication like writing a letter would also be good.
2) Make sure to be open to each other – It is the time where you can develop and maintain strong emotional connection with your partner. Share your feelings about the status of your relationship, your expectations from him and vice versa, the dreams that you both have and your aspirations in life.
3) Maximize the things that you do together – Listen to the same music, watch the same TV program, or you can even play games together. EXPLORE. There are a lot of exciting things that you can do together even when you are away from each other.
4) Must AVOID the temptation to be controlling – If you start controlling your partner, it will cause pressure in your relationship. He will feel suffocated and might push him to rebel. You don’t want that to happen right?
5) Mesmerize him on special occasions – Important events like birthdays, anniversaries, Valentine’s Day, New Year and others. Think of something he would never expect from you. It maybe something that you have to do, something you have to give, or something that he is waiting for you to say. Women always do exceptional things for love. So surprise him with the best gift you can give. In this way, he will never forget that special moment.
6) Make yourself busy – You have to take advantage of the benefits a long distance relationship offers like spending more time with your family, hang out with your friends, picking a new hobby, reading a best-selling novel, or nursing a new pet. It will be an additional topic that you can talk about to your partner.
7) Manage to talk about your future together – Share each other’s plans and hopes. Talk about the time when the both of you will finally be together again to keep the excitement alive.
8) Must be optimistic – You must have full confidence on your relationship. Believe in it if you truly think that he is your soul mate. Apply the law of attraction –think that you are so in love with each other and that both of you will be reunited very soon and live happily ever after... sounds like a fairy tale? ... BE POSITIVE and let it happen.